"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Birthdays Today - Americana Edition

Great birthdays today.   First, Frederic Remington, perhaps the greatest and most American of America's artists, was born in 1861.  I suppose no one would compare him to Rodin or Michelangelo, and yet is there any more recognizable sculpture of the past 150 years:



It's also the birthday of Buster Keaton, born in 1895, perhaps the greatest and most creative of America's comics of the silent-movie era.   Here he is in one of his coolest moments, the train scene from The General
 


Finally, there is Charlton Heston, who, perhaps only exceeded by John Wayne, is the actor who best represents the American Character.  Heston was born in 1923 and, by the time of his death, had become probably the most beloved Hollywood figure among American conservatives.   Here is Heston doing his famous reading of Michael Crichton's screed on environmentalism from Jurassic Park, which Heston read on the Rush Limbaugh program:

No comments:

Post a Comment