"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Occupy Wall Street Gets Mugged By Reality

Here is a quote from an Occupy Wall Street protester that captures for me the utter naivete of these children (whatever their ages might be).   It comes from a 38 year-old man who is upset that the "rich" bankers he wants to protest aren't available at convenient times:
It’s weird protesting... You get there at 9 a.m. and the rich bankers who you want to hurl insults at and change their worldview have been at work for two hours already. And then when it’s time to go, they’re still there. I guess that’s why they call them the one per cent. I mean, who wants to work those kinds of hours?
One might comment that an intelligent observer, thinking logically, could conclude that there was a connection between working "those kinds of hours" and becoming "rich," just as there's a connection between sitting outside protesting at age 38 and not being rich.   But it's all too easy, isn't it?



1 comment:

  1. The protest is about these people making money off the backs of others, dumb ass. Not the mere fact that they're rich. Dumb ass.

    ReplyDelete