"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Cain Disqualified

For me anyway.   Cain was asked last night by Piers Morgan on CNN about his views on abortion.   His first answer was solid:  “I believe that life begins at conception and abortion under no circumstances." 

But then, Morgan asked Cain if he would want his daughter or granddaughter, if raped, to keep the baby.   Cain responded:

 “It’s not the government’s role, or anybody else’s role to make that decision.  Secondly, if you look at the statistical incidence, you’re not talking about that big a number. So what I’m saying is, it ultimately gets down to a choice that that family or that mother has to make. Not me as president. Not some politician, not a bureaucrat. It gets down to that family, and whatever they decide, they decide. I shouldn’t have to tell them what decision to make for such a sensitive issue."

If that's his view, I couldn't vote for him for President.   (I likely wouldn't anyway, as I've said previously, because I don't think he's a very good candidate generally.)   Wishy-washiness on Life issues is a disqualifier for me, period.

Cain, of course, sent out the obligatory Twitter message today saying, "I’m 100% pro-life. End of story.”   OK.   Fine.   But you said what you said to Morgan, and that means we can't trust what you're saying now after you've "lawyered up" with your political consultants.   

No comments:

Post a Comment