"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, October 10, 2011

Scalia and Breyer Putting the Senate Judiciary Committee Some Knowledge

I am always struck by how gentlemanly and common-sensical Supreme Court Justices seem when they come out from their cloisters and speak in public.   Here is a remarkable video of testimony by Justices Stephen Breyer and Antonin Scalia recently before the Senate Judiciary Committee.   I suspect the most surprising thing to many viewers (although not to me) is how collegial and friendly Breyer (usually thought of as part of the Left on the Court) and Scalia (usually thought of as part of the far Right) are.   

No comments:

Post a Comment