"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Girl of the Day - Boardwalk Empire Version

I've enjoyed the HBO show Boardwalk Empire, now starting it's second sesason, with Steve Buscemi and the great Michael Shannon, set in Atlantic City at the beginning of Prohibition.   Buscemi's character, Nucky Thompson, is the mobbed-up, corrupt City Treasurer who runs the Boardwalk and imports liquor to sell to the New York City crime syndicate run by Arnold Rothstein (Lucky Luciano, Meyer Lansky, Al Capone and other historical figures also appear); Shannon plays the G-man who's trying to take Thompson down.   The show also features the women behind the men, including, first, Aleksa Palladino as the wife of one young mobster, Jimmy Darmody:


Gretchen Mol as Darmody's very young looking, ex-stripper mother:



Kelly MacDonald as Nucky Thompson's girlfriend, a widow (whose violent husband Thompson had killed early in season one):



And Paz de la Huerta as an Atlantic City hooker, Lucy, who decidedly does not have a heart of gold:



All of them admittedly look better in civvies:

No comments:

Post a Comment