"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Girl of the Day - Catherine Deneuve


It's actress Catherine Deneuve's birthday today; astonishingly, she's 68.   Probably the greatest French beauty of the Sixties and Seventies, Deneuve is supposedly, at least according to Wikipedia, a longtime cigarette smoker and has expressed her frustration with the increasing bans on smoking. During a press conference held in a Madrid hotel in March 2011 to promote Potiche, she was told to put out her cigarette and refused by saying she would pay the fine instead. "I think it is all very excessive," Deneuve told reporters.   I like the chutzpah. 

The image above is from the Roman Polanski film, Repulsion, which is generally thought of as one of the few truly great horror films.   It's about a young girl alone in an apartment who gradually goes mad... sort of a precursor of Kubrick's The Shining.   Here's the trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment