"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Cardinals' Magic Run Continues


The Cardinals are up 1-0 in the World Series.   Their magical run continues -- everybody Tony La Russa brings in out of the bullpen seems to suddenly be unhittable, with his new closer, Jason Motte, leading the way with a 97-99 mph fastball.

Motte, a converted catcher, has pitched 9 post-season innings in relief, and has given up 1 hit, 0 walks, and 0 runs, and is 5 for 5 in saves.   I looked up Mariano Rivera's statistics, since he's generally thought of as the greatest post-season closer of all-time.   Rivera's best post-season ever was in 1998 when he pitched 13 1/3 innings, gave up 6 hits, 2 walks and 0 runs in earning six saves as the Yankees won the World Series.    Adam Wainwright's miracle season in 2006 is another possible comparison:   Wainwright went 9 2/3 innings, gave up seven hits, two walks, and 0 runs in earning four saves.  

In other words, and without jinxing him (I hope), Motte is on pace to record the greatest post-season year for a closer ever.   Wow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment