- Tunisia appears to be moving toward becoming a radical Islamist state.
- Libya, post-Qaddafi, appears to be moving toward adopting sharia as the founding principle of its new state.
- The leader of Afghanistan, Hamad Karzai, says that he would side with Pakistan in a war against America.
- President Obama's negotiations with Iraq to permit American troops to remain in the country as a hedge against further encroachment by Iran broke apart, and Obama has decided to declare victory in a cynical political move, and bring all Americans home.
- Egypt... well, just by way of example, it's not a crime punishable by three years in prison to speak ill of Islam.
“When I see the spirit of liberty in action, I see a strong principle at work; and this, for a while, is all I can possibly know of it. The wild gas, the fixed air, is plainly broke loose; but we ought to suspend our judgment until the first effervescence is a little subsided, till the liquor is cleared, and until we see something deeper than the agitation of a troubled and frothy surface. I must be tolerably sure, before I venture publicly to congratulate men upon a blessing, that they have really received one.”
The world is a dangerous place. It's even more dangerous when naive liberals are in charge. Sure, Qaddafi is dead; sure, bin Laden is dead. Good riddance to them. But that doesn't mean that radical Islamist ideology isn't still moving forward around the world. We ignore it at our long-term peril.