"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, October 17, 2011

Birthdays Today - What a Great Day This Is!

Cardinals in the World Series and today is also a great day for birthdays for two of my favorite all-time actresses.  First, Jean Arthur was born in 1900.   Arthur starred as a cute, smart, wholesome girl-next-door in some of my favorite 1930s comedies, including Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and You Can't Take It With You.   Here she is with Jimmy Stewart in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, still the best movie ever about the corrruptions of Washington and the greatness of average Americans:




Rita Hayworth was also born today, in 1919.   Hayworth is one of the most beautiful of Hollywood's great actresses, and also in the top echelon of Hollywood dancers.   Here she is with Fred Astaire; Astaire once said she was his favorite dance partner:

No comments:

Post a Comment