"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, October 10, 2011

Girl of the Day - Dorothy Lamour


It's Dorothy Lamour's birthday today.    Born in 1914, Lamour is best-known for her star turn in the wartime "Road" movies opposite Bob Hope and Bing Crosby -- I remember her vaguely from those movies, which appeared usually on Saturday afternoon TV, wearing a sarong and singing somewhat forgettable songs.   But, man, were those movies funny, Hope in particular... we forget how great he was.   You can see why the troops in World War II loved him, and kept loving him for decades after.   Here's a clip from one of the best, The Road to Utopia, with Lamour singing "Personality":

No comments:

Post a Comment