"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Special Extra Birthday - The Chairman of the Board

Frank Sinatra was born today in 1915.   Sinatra deserves his own post for the simple reason that he is probably the greatest American singer of the 20th Century, whose voice best represents a distinctly American personality and artistry.   Also an underrated actor whose work in movies like The Manchurian Candidate and From Here to Eternity has stood the test of time.   Here is Sinatra, at his best, singing the great Harold Arlen-Johnny Mercer song, "One for My Baby":

No comments:

Post a Comment