"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Birthdays Today

Marty Marion, the Cardinals shortstop for their 1940s World Series championships, was born today in 1917.   Marion was the prototypical good-field, no-hit shortstop, but when I think of the Cardinals of that era, he generally comes to mind second, just after (although a long way after) Stan Musial.




Also born today, in 1929, was the comic actor Dick Shawn, perhaps best known for his turn as the crazy hippy Lorenzo St. Dubois ("LSD") who plays Hitler in the bogus musical, Springtime for Hitler, that is the centerpiece of Mel Brooks' best movie, The Producers.   Here is LSD's hilarious audition:

No comments:

Post a Comment