"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, December 13, 2010

Birthdays Today

Two TV birthdays today, for actors on opposite ends of the spectrum from comic to serious.   Dick Van Dyke was born today in 1925.   Van Dyke's show in the early 1960s featuring Mary Tyler Moore, Rose Marie and Morey Amsterdam is still one of the half dozen most memorable situation comedies.  



Also born today in 1957 -- it's tragic that he's only two years older than I am -- was Steve Buscemi, who's starring in the new HBO show about gangsters in Prohibition called "Boardwalk Empire."   It's a great show, and I can't wait for season 2.  

No comments:

Post a Comment