"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, December 6, 2010

Birthdays Today

Ira Gershwin, the great lyricist brother of George Gershwin, was born today in 1896.   Gershwin wrote the lyrics for some of the most memorable tunes in American music, including "I Got Rhythm," "The Man I Love," "They Can't Take That Away From Me," "'S Wonderful," and one of my all-time favorites, a song I used to sing to my little girls at bedtime, "Someone to Watch Over Me."   Here's Linda Rondstadt singing it:



Also born today in 1962 was the actress Janine Turner, who starred in the romantic TV comedy Northern Exposure  with Rob Morrow.   Turner played a tough-talking Alaskan girl pilot, with Morrow as a young Jewish doctor from New York who is required to serve as the town doctor in a remote Alaskan village to pay off his student loans.   My wife and I used to watch it all the time when we were first dating.   Here's a funny scene witih Turner and Morrow:

No comments:

Post a Comment