"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, December 6, 2010

Smile of the Day - Cardinal Version

The Cardinals signed Lance Berkman to a one-year deal at $8 million.   It's a decent deal, but not a no-brainer:  Berkman is on the downside of his career, and won't be a good left-fielder; and, if the Cards move Holliday to right, they'll lose fielding there too.   Coupled with the Theriot signing (replacing Brendan Ryan), we are giving up a lot of defense for marginally better offense.   Also, we are giving up young (Allen Craig) for old (Berkman).   Not sure this makes sense unless you assume that the Cards aren't hopeful about signing Pujols after 2011, and are looking to make one last push for a World Series this year.   If Berkman rebounds to his career norm (say, 28 HRs and 105 RBIs), they might just make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment