"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Friday, December 17, 2010

Girl Friday - Catherine Spaak

Back when I was a graduate student, one of my illicit pleasures (not that illicit, actually pretty innocent) was to go to the library, back in the stacks, and read old Life magazines.   I loved the pictures and even the ads -- they gave me a sense of what it was like to live in that particular moment with that particular mix of pop culture, products, politics, people, etc.   Anyway, here's a young actress named Catherine Spaak who went on to... well, as far as I can tell, to not much of anything.  But there she is in 1966 on the cover of Life.   She was 20 then (I was 7), so she's nearing 65 now.  How fleeting is fame; how short life; gather ye rosebuds, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment