"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Girl Saturday - Catherine Deneuve

Another icon of the 1960s is our Girl of the Day.   Back when it seemed there was always a French actress celebrated as an international sex symbol, Catherine Deneuve was perhaps the most beautiful French actress, and probably the best in terms of actual acting.   In retrospect, I imagine that the fact that men of that era included a lot of ETO vets who had been through France in 1944 and 1945 might explain why a Bardot or a Deneuve became such a sensation.  On the other hand, other things might explain it, such as, well, you know...

No comments:

Post a Comment