"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Bush on Books

Hugh Hewitt has a neat inteview up with George W. Bush about his memoir, Decision Points.   The takeaway for me is that Bush is a very nice man, a real Christian, and highly intelligent in an entirely unpretentious way.   He doesn't have anything to prove.  

One thing the interview does prove is that Bush is a big reader, and always was, putting the lie to the habitual liberal canard about "dumb" Republicans.   (Stevenson was smarter than Eisenhower, Carter was smarter than Reagan, Gore and Kerry were so much smarter than poor George W. Bush.... the whole trope is so tired, and yet they constantly drag it out.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment