"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Birthdays Today

Born today in 1859 was Georges Seurat, one of my favorite painters, whose style of "pointillism" is so cool that it almost is unusable by anyone else: 


Also born today, on 1923, was the great soprano, Maria Callas.   Here she is doing the famous aria from Bizet's Carmen



From the sublime to the ridiculous, today is also the birthday of maybe the worst public figure in American politics, Nevada Senator (and, luckily, former Majority Leader) Harry Reid.   Ugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment