"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Girl of the Day - Eleanor Parker


Eleanor Parker is one of those Hollywood stars who never starred in a true "classic" movie, and so has passed a bit into the void of historical amnesia, but who, in her prime, was a terrific actress who fought for and got great parts in serious movies.   It seems amazing to me that someone who probably is often confused with the musical star and tap-dancer, Eleanor Powell, was nominated for three Academy Awards for Best Actress in the early 1950s (what was arguably the peak of American cinema):  in Caged, Detective Story, and Interrupted Melody.   The only one I've seen is Detective Story, and it was a very fine, albeit stagey film noir with Kirk Douglas.    I suspect most people haven't seen any of them, which is a bit sad.  As always, tempus fugit.   She's 89 and, I hope, still doing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment