"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Friday, August 19, 2011

Girl of the Day - Anne Hathaway

Anne Hathaway is one of those actresses who has become famous without ever being in a movie that I would pay to see.   Maybe I'm just out of touch.    Anyway, she has a new movie out called "One Day," which looks awful in the way many Hollywood movies look awful these days -- it looks like it was sold on a pitch that went something like this:  "Anne Hathaway is a mousey smart girl who meets a handsome guy in college and then sees him once a year for a day until they finally fall in love after much heartache and travail while she matures into a beautiful, successful woman.   Hilarity ensues."    Yuck!    So many movies are simply formulas, or sequels, or remakes.   Is the lack of creativity from Hollywood a symbol of America's decline in innovation?   Maybe.   If so, Anne Hathaway movies might be a symbol of a symbol.

On the other hand, she is smoking hot (as the Regular Son would say):





No comments:

Post a Comment