"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Saturday, August 27, 2011

"Public" Education in Wisconsin -- The Not So Good, Very Bad and Exceptionally Ugly Teachers' Union Protest

Messmer Catholic School is a "choice" school in Milwaukee that provides an alternative to Milwaukee's dismal public schools.   The teachers' union doesn't like school choice and doesn't like Governor Scott Walker.   So when Walker went to Messmer to read to grade-school students, it was a perfect storm, and an opportunity for the teachers' union to protest.   Funny that, though -- the only purpose of protesting is, of course, to raise awareness of an issue, but if the protestors here wanted to raise awareness, the only message they sent was that they are intellectually vacant, rude, and (probably) criminal (the school was vandalized the night before the visit).   In other words, I can't believe they persuaded anyone, and I'm certain that their antics had the opposite effect on many people who might not have supported Walker otherwise.   Here's a video of the union shenannigans:


No comments:

Post a Comment