"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Girl of the Day - Mary-Louise Parker

The Regular Wife and I have started watching Weeds, about a suburban widow who turns to pot-selling as a way of making ends meet.   Not sure whether we like the show yet -- it's so satirical about suburban life that it seems, frankly, unrealistic and silly at times (we in the suburbs are a lot more boring, and a lot more moral).   But I like the central character, played by Mary-Louise Parker, a lot, and she's very good in the role.   Not sure quite where she went after Fried Green Tomatoes, which seems like a long time ago (and is, shockingly, 20 years ago):





No comments:

Post a Comment