"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, August 22, 2011

Paul Ryan Not Running for President Update

According to Stephen Hayes at the Weekly Standard, Ryan is definitely not running for President.

Since Hayes was the one hyping the story a week ago, I guess you have to take this with a grain of salt. 

Here's what the Regular Guy said last week:
I think Ryan will ultimately decide that he can do the most good by influencing current candidates on the budget, rather than running for President, where he will suddenly have to dilute his message by taking positions on Libya, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, Syria, Israel, the Palestinians, China, North Korea, Venuezuela, gay marriage, abortion, prayer in schools, etc.   I think he knows that if we don't get the budget and the debt crisis squared away, we won't have power to project in foreign policy and social issues will change from pro-life against pro-choice to I-need-food against people trying to steal-my-food.    So he'll focus "like a laser beam" (as they used to say) on the economic issues. 
Not bad for a part-time blogger.

No comments:

Post a Comment