"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, August 22, 2011

Girl of the Day - Just Another Manic Monday (Susanna Hoffs)

I noticed recently that MTV had reached its 30th anniversary, which struck me as a somewhat dubious achievement.   MTV had an enormous impact in the early 1980s, and not an entirely beneficial one -- I think the music video genre contributed a great deal to out short-attention-span-where's-the-goddamn-clicker culture.   But, because I was in my early 20s and in graduate school for most of that time, I had a lot of time on my hands and ended up watching MTV more than maybe I should have.  

Anyway, there were certain "stars" on MTV that I can't remember ever seeing anywhere else since.   One was the girl group, The Bangles, who had a few minor hits.   The Bangles' lead singer was  a short, dark-haired, doe-eyed girl whose name I never knew, but which I now learn (from the miracle of Wikipaedia) was Susanna Hoffs:



The fact that Hoffs got all the attention was apparently one of the reasons why the band broke up in the late 1980s.   In retrospect, I'm not all that sure what the attraction was -- not my type (too short). 

One of The Bangles' biggest hits was "Manic Monday," which was written by Prince:

No comments:

Post a Comment