"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Hmmmmmm.... Scott Walker Pushing Ryan to Run?

UPDATE:  

Hot Air has an interesting take on a potential Paul Ryan candidacy:
A run risks destroying Ryan’s brand. If he jumps in and gets Pawlenty’d in Iowa and New Hampshire, he goes back to D.C. knowing that his reform agenda was rejected even by ardent Republican voters. That would cripple him on the Hill; even if the GOP cleaned up on election day, a new Republican Congress would suddenly be reluctant to pass his budget. He’s taking a big risk on a very long longshot and it could end up setting back not just his political career but his cause.
***

Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker is apparently pushing Paul Ryan to run for President.   

I think Ryan will ultimately decide that he can do the most good by influencing current candidates on the budget, rather than running for President, where he will suddenly have to dilute his message by taking positions on Libya, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, Syria, Israel, the Palestinians, China, North Korea, Venuezuela, gay marriage, abortion, prayer in schools, etc.   I think he knows that if we don't get the budget and the debt crisis squared away, we won't have power to project in foreign policy and social issues will change from pro-life against pro-choice to I-need-food against people trying to steal-my-food.    So he'll focus "like a laser beam" (as they used to say) on the economic issues. 

Just a hunch.   If he gets in, I won't be unhappy, needless to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment