"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, August 1, 2011

Forty Years Ago Today - Concert for Bangladesh

Forty years ago, on August 1, 1971, George Harrison organized the Concert for Bangladesh, which was the model for all of the subsequent left-liberal rock concerts for charity.   I generally have found these types of concerts to be self-congratulatory exercises in futility -- starvation in the Third World is caused usually by politics, not by drought or famine.   Bangladesh was no different.... But, back in the day, the music was great.   Here's Bob Dylan:


No comments:

Post a Comment