"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Friday, November 5, 2010

Birthdays Today

The great comic actor, Joel McCrea, was born today in 1905.  McCrea was the star of the great, Sullivan's Travels, written and directed by Preston Sturges, about a Hollywood director of light comedies who pines to do serious drama, only to find that what Americans in the Depression really need is a good laugh.   Here's a scene where he explains his dream of a "serious" social commentary movie to a skeptical producer..... hilarious stuff.   Too bad Sturges isn't around to poke fun at the current crop of Hollywood leftists.  


***

Today is also the birthday of Andrea McCardle, the original Annie, who it is remarkable to learn is now 47 years old. My eldest daughter loves Annie, so here's the original:

No comments:

Post a Comment