"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, November 8, 2010

Birthdays Today

The one and only Katherine Hepburn was born today in 1909.  


Probably the greatest American actress ever -- who else would it be? -- the great Kate Hepburn won four Academy Awards for Morning Glory (1933),  Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967), The Lion in Winter (1968), and On Golden Pond (1981).   The last three, I have to admit were sort of "lifetime achievement awards" when Hepburn was a legendary figure.  To me her greatest roles were back in the 1930s and 1940s, and were comic roles she didn't win Academy Awards for:  the great comedies Bringing Up Baby, Holiday and The Philadelphia Story with Cary Grant, and Woman of the Year, Adam's Rib, and Pat and Mike with Spencer Tracy.  

It's also the birthday of one of my favorite singer-composers, Rickie Lee Jones, born in 1954.  Here's her song, "Chuck E.'s in Love," which now has to be at least 30 years old, but still sounds great:


Funny how our pop culture tends to reward mediocrity and real talents like Rickie Lee Jones never get their due.

No comments:

Post a Comment