"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Birthdays Today

The poet William Blake was born today in 1757.   The poems from Songs of Innocence and Experience are well-known, but to me the best part of the book are Blake's own illustrations.   He was perhaps a better painter than a poet.  



Today is also the 60th birthday of the actor Ed Harris, who is part of the ensembles in two of my favorite movies, The Right Stuff and Apollo 13.  Here is a great moment from the latter:


Finallly, it's the 26th birthday of the Milwaukee Bucks' center, Andrew Bogut, who is slowly recovering from a terrible injury last year.  The Bucks will go only as far as Bogut takes them.   

No comments:

Post a Comment