"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Ace on the Case

The great Ace of Spades blog is on the case today of the absurdity of higher education tuition and fees.   We are of like minds:
This is the sort of situation that should bother liberals -- tricking people, essentially, into taking out huge loans to buy something of dubious marginal value (that is, why not go to state school?) in order to personally enrich a small elite with a vested interest in charging ever higher and higher prices.

But of course it doesn't; their response is just to guarantee more and bigger loans, apparently not getting that it is exactly that flood of money that has inflated the cost of higher education in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment