"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Chernow's Washington

Ron Chernow has a new biography out, Washington: A Life.   I've read Chernow's previous biographies of Alexander Hamilton, John D. Rockefeller (Titan) and J.P. Morgan (The House of Morgan).   The prior books are all great portraits of men whose lives were lived at the center of the political economies of their days.  

Washington, as well as being the great American military hero of the French & Indian Wars and, of course, the leader of America's army in the Revolution, was also the richest man in the colonies, and successfully ran a number of businesses.   In short, he became President only after a long life of achievement and responsibility.   Perhaps I'm suggesting a contrast with the current White House resident?  Perhaps.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting Washington: A Life.  It was $40 in the Barnes and Noble in Baltimore, which struck me as too steep, but apparently you can get it on Amazon for $22 with free shipping. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment