"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Girl of the Day - Claire Danes

Amazingly, Homeland appears to be even better this year.   This Sunday's episode had two of the best action set-pieces you could imagine, with American snipers trying to take out an al Qaeda terrorist leader in a narrow alley in Beiruit, and then with Hezbollah gunmen chasing Carrie Mathison, the CIA agent /disgraced bipolar nutjob heroine, across rooftops, as she retrieves a bag of documents from a Beirut source's apartment.   Great stuff.

It's also amazing that Claire Danes, who plays Carrie, is even better this year, after winning the Emmy last year for her role in the show.   I think she's the best actress working right now, which leads me to the larger point -- is this the Golden Age of television drama, and has television drama, the long-form serial like Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Homeland, The Wire, etc., replaced movies as the primary visual narrative art form of the 21st Century?   Has it replaced the novel?   Maybe so.   I know I get more excited about seeing the next episode of Homeland or Breaking Bad or Mad Men than I do about whatever new movie is coming out.

No comments:

Post a Comment