"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, June 25, 2012

Lolo!


Lolo Jones managed to eke onto the Olympics team, finishing third in the U.S. Olympic trials 110 meter hurdles competition.   An amazing race -- Jones ran 12.86, but the eighth place woman ran 13.02.   At that speed (roughly 10 meters a second when they are fully accelerated), that means that five different women lost out on their Olympic dreams by less than 1.5 meters, or about 5 feet.   To work that hard and lose out on a dream (or succeed) by a whisker... that's what makes sports so compelling!

Here's the race:

No comments:

Post a Comment