"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Birthday Today - Tom Jones

I've been reading the really great memoir by Keith Richards called simply Life and at one point (so far) his path crosses with Tom Jones, the campy British singer.   It occurred to me -- this also applies to the series Mad Men -- that no era is ever monolithic.   At the same time the Stones are writing Paint it Black or Sympathy for the Devil or Gimme Shelter (maybe the greatest rock and roll song ever), there was an entirely different (but not necessarily separate) side of the culture doing this sort of thing:

No comments:

Post a Comment