"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

When the Levee Breaks

Investor's Business Daily adds a new metaphor to the emperor-has-no-clothes festival of cliches that has greeted Barack Obama's historically dismal debate performance last week -- a levee being breached:


Now, suddenly, it's OK to say you're disappointed in Obama's leadership. It's OK to wonder if he's overrated. It's OK to blame him for the ongoing lousy economy and foreign policy fiascoes. And, after years avoiding Obama altogether, comedians are willing to make him the butt of jokes.

For any other politician, this wouldn't mean much. But now that the massive dam protecting Obama from criticism all these years has cracked, the results could be catastrophic. Who knows? Maybe the mainstream press will even decide to cover Obama fairly.

They might report how wages have declined the last four years, while food stamps and poverty climbed.


Or tell them how Obama has driven the debt above the entire GDP.

Or write about Obama's green energy fiascoes, Fast and Furious, and the burgeoning Benghazi scandal.

Well, let's not get too carried away.

  Maybe it's me, but I feel a preference cascade coming on:




***

And, just for the hell of it, here's a little LZ for those of you with discerning ears:

No comments:

Post a Comment