"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Friday, October 12, 2012

A Theory on Biden's Performance

Joe Biden is a 40 year veteran of Washington politics.   Yes, I think "blowhard" is his natural state.   But last night was so over-the-top that it requires new thinking.   What if...

1. Democratic Party internal polls show that Obama-Biden is cratering, and that a Romney-Ryan victory is almost assured.

2. Democratic Party insiders are fearful of an epochal wipeout in November, in which they lose, not just the Presidency, but the Senate and the House too, along with governorships, State Senates, State Houses, etc.

3. Democratic Party insiders know that the only way to salvage the party from the Obama debacle is to generate turnout of the party base.

4. Democratic Party insiders know that their base wants angry, wants tough, wants to call Republicans "liars."  

5. Joe Biden gives them what they want.   But not to help Obama.   To help save the party he has served for 40 years.

That's my theory.   Otherwise, it's hard to believe that an angry, nasty old buffoon like Joe Biden can possibly be Vice-President of the United States.  

No comments:

Post a Comment