"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

How Weird Is This on the Obamameter?

OK, this is just weird:


One of the more mysterious characters from President Obama's 1995 autobiography Dreams From My Father is the so-called 'New York girlfriend.' Obama never referred to her by name, or even by psuedonym, but he describes her appearance, her voice, and her mannerisms in specific detail.

But Obama has now told biographer David Maraniss that the 'New York girlfriend' was actually a composite character, based off of multiple girlfriends he had both in New York City and in Chicago.

"In Dreams from My Father, Obama chose to emphasize a racial chasm that unavoidably separated him from the woman he described as his New York girlfriend," Maraniss writes, offering a passage from the book in which they go to see a play by a black playwright:
One night I took her to see a new play by a black playwright. It was a very angry play, but very funny. Typical black American humor. The audience was mostly black, and everybody was laughing and clapping and hollering like they were in church. After the play was over, my friend started talking about why black people were so angry all the time. I said it was a matter of remembering—nobody asks why Jews remember the Holocaust, I think I said—and she said that’s different, and I said it wasn’t, and she said that anger was just a dead end. We had a big fight, right in front of the theater. When we got back to the car she started crying. She couldn’t be black, she said. She would if she could, but she couldn’t. She could only be herself, and wasn’t that enough.
"None of this happened with Genevieve," Maraniss writes. "She remembered going to the theater only once with Barack, and it was not to see a work by a black playwright. When asked about this decades later, during a White House interview, Obama acknowledged that the scene did not happen with Genevieve. “It is an incident that happened,” he said. But not with her. He would not be more specific, but the likelihood is that it happened later, when he lived in Chicago. “That was not her,” he said.

Look, I've told stories about my past that weren't true.   It's very tempting when you go away to college or graduate school or move for work, and the people from your past who would know the truth aren't around to correct you... to call "bullshit" on you.   So I get it.   But it's one thing to do that in conversation with strangers.   It's another to do it in a published freakin' memoir that you "wrote" (leaving aside the potential that Bill Ayers actually was the ghostwriter for the book) for the purpose of advancing your political career.

Can we see this guy's transcripts now?   How about his medical records?   Does it matter that he's a serial liar about his past?   Can we ask about Bill Ayers?   Or Jeremiah Wright?    I mean, now that he's admitted that he lies about what he's done and who he's done it with?

Where is the MSM on this sort of thing?

Oh, right... I forgot.

In.   The.   Tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment