"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Girls of the Day - Funny-Looking Actresses With Great, Unique Voices Edition (Margaret Sullavan and Debra Winger)

I've seen Margaret Sullavan in exactly one movie, but it's a doozy -- The Shop Around the Corner, with Jimmy Stewart and Lionel Barrymore:



Great stuff.   What an odd, wonderful voice she had!   Sullavan was born today, in 1909, but died too young in 1960.

Meanwhile, another not that great looking actress who has a wonderful, unique voice, Debra Winger, turns 57 today.   She was a big, big star in the early 1980s from movies like Terms of Endearment, Urban Cowboy, and An Officer and a Gentleman, but my favorite work from her is probably with Nick Nolte in a very odd version of Cannery Row:



Oh, and it's also Megan Fox's 26th birthday:


Just because.

No comments:

Post a Comment