"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, May 14, 2012

An Ad, A Riposte, A Question, and a Surmise

The Obama campaign unveiled a new ad today targeting Romney's tenure as CEO of Bain Capital, and specifically its purchase and (much later) closure of a steel mill in Kansas City.   The point, which is not too subtle, is that Bain took over companies, only to close some, which cost people jobs.   Here's the ad, which you can judge for yourself -- my favorite hammer-on-the-head unsubtlety is when they have an ex-steel worker (by the way, it's now 11 years later... how about looking for another job that doesn't involve shilling for the Dems!) talk about how Bain was a "vampire."  




This should be easy-pickings, but here's a fatal riposte that took less than one day from the man whom Obama himself put in charge of the GM bailout:




Finally, a question and a surmise:

Why would the Obama campaign choose to highlight jobs... the very issue he's been trying to distract voters about, given his dismal economic record?

My surmise:

The internal polling on the public's reaction to Obama's gay marriage announcement must be really, really bad.   And it won't be helped by the publicity that's being generated by this week's Newsweek cover:



I know we're a "tolerant" country, and we are all supposed to have "progressive" views, etc., etc.   But, still... I can't see any Presidential campaign really believing that being labeled the "first Gay President" is a good thing.   Sorry, not in America in 2012.   Maybe you wish it were so, but it just ain't so, Joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment