"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, March 12, 2012

An Unbelievable Jerk (Bill Maher)

Bill Maher, the execrable and unwatchable liberal "comedian" on HBO, had the audacity to say this about Rick Santorum and his wife's decision to home-school their seven children:




I've occasionally commented to friends with kids that people who don't have kids are basically children... you can work with them and you can talk with them about many things, but at some point you realize that they simply don't have the depth of character that raising children brings.   They haven't taken the risk, they haven't had to make the daily decisions, they haven't had to risk decades of complete commitment, they haven't invested their souls in how their kids turn out; they haven't cried the tears or laughed the laughs or felt what it means to be utterly devoted to someone other than themselves.

Which leads me to this:   guess how many kids Bill Maher has?

That's right.   Zero.   Never been married.   A fifty-six year old "man."   His last long-term girlfriend sued him when they broke up.  

Is it any wonder that a man like Rick Santorum, who's raised seven beautiful children with his wife, utterly baffles someone like Maher?

***

Let me also say, as a parent, that one rule I've always lived by is... you don't criticize someone else's parenting and you don't criticize someone else's children.   Now, don't get me wrong... I've run into plenty of people who feel free to criticize other people's children; who run to the principal to criticize other people's children; who, so convinced of their own children's perfections, have no charity for other children's imperfections.   They give me the creeps.   Once in dealing with someone who came into school to criticize the Regular Son, I commented (in a loud voice) to our little nun principal that she could live to be a thousand and she would never have me in her office complaining about someone else's child.    I'm not quite sure she took the point, but that doesn't mean it isn't still valid.   You don't criticize someone else's children.   You don't criticize the decisions someone else makes with their children.   That's code.   It just isn't done.   A gentleman would know that.  

Maher isn't one.  

2 comments:

  1. This guy may be the most obnoxious man alive. I dont mind that he;s an atheist, in fact hes well within his rights to champion such cause. But he is not a debater or a thinker. He's insulting. He is a primitive, insecure, knuckle dragging cave drawer of a man who has to resort to ad hominem attacks as oppose to the reason he so desperately implores others to find. We can at least take comfort that no man can go lower than this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you but I feel the need to say, not everybody is able to have kids even though they want them very much, and not all those people are "children".

    ReplyDelete