"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, March 12, 2012

Girl of the Day - Liza Minnelli



Absolutely not my type... actually a fairly odd and mousy-looking woman.   But her performance in Cabaret is probably the single greatest performance by an actress in a musical.... weirdly the only one in the same league is probably the performance by her mother, Judy Garland, in Wizard of Oz.   (Maybe Julie Andrews in Sound of Music?)   Which just goes to show you that looks aren't everything and soul will out.  

Anyway, Liza turns 66 today.   Here's a showstopper, among many, from Cabaret, performed in concert by a much older, but still great, Liza:

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. Liza is one true sweetheart. Read about our meeting Liza in NYC "Mama Meets Minnelli" http://www.nyc2suburbia.com/

    ReplyDelete