"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Regular Guy Believes... the Republican Victory in the 2010 Election Still Isn't Quite as Cool As Watching Your Kid's Football Team

It's a measure of our civilization, perhaps so obvious that it goes unremarked, that Americans love watching their children play sports.   Do we care too much about them?   Well, maybe.   But the fact that we can care so much about kids' sports just shows how lucky we are to be Americans ca. 2010.  

This fall my son's eighth grade football team went 7-0.  Many of the kids probably won't end up playing in high school, and very few, if any, have any chance of even sniffing playing in college.   But, for this "one shining moment," they were perfect.  

No comments:

Post a Comment