"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Friday, November 5, 2010

Noonan on Obama's Press Conference

Peggy Noonan in the Wall Street Journal today, describing her reaction to Obama's post-election press conference: 

"This wet blanket, this occupier of the least interesting corner of the faculty lounge, this joy-free zone, this inert gas."
Exactly.  The problem with Obama's presidency is simple:  he doesn't appear to be happy in the job, because he doesn't appear to like America very much.  Americans crave a cheerful Chief Executive, a "happy warrior" in their Presidents.   Obama seems like he's all too often angry, and all too often at us.

As I used to say teaching English, compare and contrast, this:



With this:

No comments:

Post a Comment