"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Birthdays Today

Today is the birthday of the Cowboy philosopher-comedian, Will Rogers, born in 1879.


Rogers once cautioned: "Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for." Sound advice.

***
It's also the birthday of Dick Groat, Cardinals shortstop in 1964, when they won the World Series over the Yankees. I was five. I've been waiting for a Cardinals-Yankees World Series ever since.


Groat was also a great Duke basketball player -- his number is one of the Duke numbers that has been retired.   This is him after he scored a Duke record 48 points.


No comments:

Post a Comment