"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, May 13, 2013

Gosnell Verdict

The verdict in the trial of abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell is in.   He has been found guilty of 1st degree intentional homicide in the murders of three babies born alive in his abortion abbatoir.   He is now eligible for the death penalty.   I do not think he will get it and, even if they were to condemn him to death, he won't be executed, given his age and the likelihood of years and years and perhaps decades of appeals.

I am gratified that our society remains even to this degree civilized -- that you cannot kill an innocent baby born alive simply because a few moments earlier the mother had decided to "abort" him (or her).   We will become truly civilized when we conclude that the distinction between a moment before and a moment after live birth, and an inch outside the womb rather than inside, are distinctions without a difference.   A baby is a baby.  Murder is murder.

No comments:

Post a Comment