"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Friday, May 17, 2013

Girl of the Day - Me Tarzan, You Jane! (Maureen O'Sullivan)




































The picture probably gives this one away, but that's Maureen O'Sullivan who played Jane in the 1930s Tarzan movies with Johnny Weismuller, and later played Jane in the 1942 Greer Garson/Laurence Olivier version of Pride and Prejudice.   A staunch Catholic lady and mother of seven (including the actress Mia Farrow), she was born on this day in 1911.

By the way, I notice that I'm back to back on days with Maureen O'Sullivan and Margaret Sullavan, both actresses from the 1930s, as my "girls of the day."   I wonder how often they were confused with each other back then?

No comments:

Post a Comment