Contraception = Squirell!
Gay marriage = Squirrel!
Even in some ways taxes and spending = Squirrel!
We are all intent on distracting each other from what's happening under our noses, a giant problem that will eat America, as it is already eating Europe and Japan. Here's a graph from a story in the WSJ over the weekend:
If we don't make enough babies, we can't afford the welfare state we've created, and the bill is coming due as the huge blip in the line in the 1950s starts retiring and expecting 25 or 30 or more years of cushy, taxpayer-funded leisure time and medical care at the end of their lives. It's that simple.
And, if you understand the fertility crisis as being our big problem, you might have a different view of much of the Left's social policy over the past five decades, including:
- pushing for more access to contraception;
- pushing for more abortion;
- pushing a culture that promotes hyper-sexuality without connection to having children;
- pushing brands of feminism that celebrate women working while denigrating women staying home and raising children;
- pushing more young people to postpone families by going to college; and, not least,
- pushing a not-so-hidden anti-Catholicism.