"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Girl of the Day - Madeleine Carroll

Madeleine Carroll, born today in 1907, was the star of the great early Hitchcock film, The 39 Steps.   During World War II, when her only sister died in the Blitz, she quit acting and became a Red Cross nurse.   That was a different time, when "celebrities" weren't quite so distant from the rest of us, when a Jimmy Stewart could quit acting to become a bomber pilot and wing commander in the Army Air Corps, or when Ted Williams could quit baseball to become a fighter pilot in the Pacific.

A lovely lady:

1 comment:

  1. Good little post about a great and courageous lady, blessed with that rare quality: a personality to match her looks. One point though, she was born in 1906. Assuming that was a typo.

    ReplyDelete