"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, January 28, 2013

Girl of the Day - Bridget Fonda

One of the things I've noticed in looking up birthdays is that sports stars are always younger than you think, and actresses are always older than you think.   My theory on this is that movies and TV shows exist in a perpetual present -- if you watch a movie with a particular star, you are being entertained by a person who is the age they were when they made the movie, which might be longer ago than you realize.   Meanwhile, sports are always happening now in real time -- you are being entertained by a person who is the exact age he is at this moment, and once he's stopped entertaining you, once he retires, you relegate him mentally into the past, so that you think he must be older.  

I'll give you an example.   Greg Maddux, the great Chicago Cubs and Atlanta Braves pitcher, seemed like he was around forever, pitching well into his 40s, and now he's been retired for at least five years, because he's likely to go into the Hall of Fame next year.   He's a grizzled veteran, in other words.

Meanwhile, Bridget Fonda in my mind's eye is a hot young actress, the daughter of Peter Fonda, granddaughter of Henry Fonda, niece of Jane Fonda.  

In my imagination, Maddux is old and retired, while Fonda is still very young and up-and-coming.

In reality, Maddux is 46, while Fonda turned 49 over the weekend.   It seems like just yesterday she was the young ingenue in The Godfather Part III.   But, of course, that movie came out in 1990, 23 years ago. 

Tempus fugit.  

Here she is, back in the day:



















While politically her aunt, Hanoi Jane Fonda, is anathema to the Regular Guy, I have to say that young Jane was way cuter, as here in one of my favorites, Cat Ballou:



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I think Bridget way hotter than Jane.

    ReplyDelete